Duathlon Nationals will feature national championships for elite athletes, paraduathletes and age-groupers on a 5-kilometer run, 35-kilometer bike and 5-kilometer run course. Action is slated to begin at Ventana Medical Systems at 8 a.m.
Among the elites scheduled to compete is Matthew Sheeks (Woodinville, Wash.), who captured the 2010 elite duathlon national title in Pelham, Ala. On the paraduathlon side, 2010 World Championships medalists David Kyle (TRI-3, Athens, Ala.) and Lamar Brown (TRI-6, Bronx, N.Y.) return to defend their national titles won in Richmond, Va., a year ago.
Age group national champions from Richmond in 2010 set to compete in Tucson/Oro Valley include:
· Ashley Heinlein (18-19, Stillwater, Minn.)
· Eneas Freyre (30-34, Norwalk, Conn.)
· Dave Slavinski (35-39, Point Pleasant, N.J.)
· Ann Davidson (45-49, Portland, Ore.)
· Kristin Villopoto (50-54, Chapel Hill, N.C.)
· David Burkhart (55-59, Brighton, Mich.)
· Anne Mitchell (55-59, Bala Cynwyd, Pa.)
· David Lowe (60-64, Tucson, Ariz.)
· Anne Viviani (60-64, Arlington, Va.)
· Mike McCarty (65-69, New Bedford, Mass.)
· Barb Morgan (65-69, Tioga, Pa.)
· Warren Taylor (70-74, Telford, Pa.)
Slavinski and Davidson were named USA Triathlon's Overall Duathletes of the Year for 2010, while Mitchell claimed Grand Masters Duathlete of the Year honors. Slavinski and Gail Kattouf (Greenville, S.C.) will be gunning for a second national title in two months, as both athletes were victorious at the 2011 USA Triathlon Long Course Duathlon National Championship on March 27 in Pelham, Ala.
In addition to chasing national titles, age-group athletes also will be competing for spots on Team USA for the 2011 ITU Short Course Duathlon World Championships in Gijon, Spain, on Sept. 24-25. The top 18 finishers in each age group, rolling down to 25th place, will be eligible for a Team USA berth. Team USA is comprised of amateur athletes who represent the United States at each ITU World Championship event. Visit usatriathlon.org for more information.
Photo: Matthew Sheeks won the 2010 elite duathlon national title. (Nicole McCarthy)