Mark Cavendish proved to everyone that he is by far the best sprinter at the 2009 Tour de France by winning stage 19...his 5th stage win at this year's race.
The British sprinter pulled himself over the last climb of the stage within contention and when the finish came he went out earlier and managed to stay in the lead across the finish line.
There was no change in the overall standing of the race as all of the GC leaders came in together including Lance Armstrong (currently in third place) and the yellow jersey Alberto Contador.
Tomorrow's mountain top finish is the last chance for the leaders to shake up the overall standing of the 2009 Tour de France.
Check out the final sprint of stage 19 below:
Top Riders Stage 19 Results:
- 1. Mark Cavendish Team Columbia - Htc in 3:50:35
- 2. Thor Hushovd Cervelo Test Team
- 3. Gerald Ciolek Team Milram at 00:00
- 4. Greg Van Avermaet Silence - Lotto at s.t.
- 5. Oscar Freire Rabobank at s.t.
- 6. Jérôme Pineau Quick Step at s.t.
- 7. Fumiyuki Beppu Skil-Shimano at s.t.
- 8. Nicolas Roche Ag2r La Mondiale at s.t.
- 9. Christophe Le Mevel Francaise Des Jeux at s.t.
- 10. Martijn Maaskant Garmin - Slipstream at s.t.
GC Standings after Stage 19:
- 1. Alberto Contador Astana in 77:06:18
- 2. Andy Schleck Team Saxo Bank in 77:10:29
- 3. Lance Armstrong Astana in 77:11:39 at 05:21
- 4. Bradley Wiggins Garmin - Slipstream in 77:11:54 at 05:36
- 5. Andréas KlÖden Astana in 77:11:56 at 05:38
- 6. Frank Schleck Team Saxo Bank in 77:12:17 at 05:59
- 7. Vincenzo Nibali Liquigas in 77:13:33 at 07:15
- 8. Christian Vande Velde Garmin - Slipstream in 77:16:26 at 10:08
- 9. Christophe Le Mevel Francaise Des Jeux in 77:18:55 at 12:37
- 10. Mikel Astarloza Euskaltel - Euskadi in 77:18:56 at 12:38
Follow on twitter @everymantri
Additional Endurance Sports Resources:
Complete Insider coverage of the Tour de France HERE.
- Who has the best female abs in the sports biz HERE
- Who has the best Male abs in the sports biz HERE
- My Endurance Sports Alerts (Free/No Spam): Subscribe to Email
- My latest book: No seriously, My training starts tomorrow (Paperback and E-book). Free Amazon preview