The seven time TDF champ is currently on the Spanish island of Tenerife, surfing with team Astana as part of their winter training camp.
But just a few short weeks ago Armstrong was still riding and training in the Texas Hill Country.
Ted Arnold of Pez Cycling News had a chance to ride shotgun next to Armstrong for a 5 hour training ride.
Here's part of the report Arnold filed for Pez Cycling:
"Wednesday, 19 November
• 6:45 AM - Mellow Johnny's Bike Shop in Downtown Austin is the designated meeting spot and is where I find Dave Bolch, LA's right hand man in Austin. Dave's friendly demeanor is the stuff of legend, and quite simply put there isn't much he can't do. From making his own espresso this morning, to taking care of Lances' bike needs, Dave is the do-it-all-and-then-some type of guy.
• 7:17 - After a caffeine boost and some breakfast we make our way to Lance's place to start the ride. Dave's stint with LA goes back to the early USPS Team days where he was a soigneur. We hit the gated drive and pull up to the guest-house garage, where the bikes and toys (like an all Black Chip Foose Pontiac GTO*) reside.
• 7:32-7:50 - Dave readies the follow vehicle for a long day. In the back a few sets of Bontrager training wheelsets with 25mm tires and traditional spokes, along with food, bottles, and all of the clothing needed for a day in the saddle. A few minutes later Lance makes his way down from the main house dressed in LIVESTRONG cycling clothes and ready for the day.
• 8:00 - Occasional training partner and long time friend John "College" Korioth arrives and the jawing begins. It will be a theme throughout the day, but it starts over a wheelset. It seems a certain someone doesn't approve of John's choice of lighter wheels and tires so the boss goes to the garage to make sure John has a set he can use just like the set on the boss's bike.
• 8:05 - Realizing that we're missing a few goodies Lance needed, it's
back to the shop while Lance and John make their way southwest from
central Austin. By 8:30 we're on their tail and Dave's long slog at 20
mph in the driver's seat begins.
• 8:33 - It's rush hour as Dave tells me how Austin's sprawl has 'removed' some of Lance's favorite old routes from the list. Soon we have our first follower for the day who doesn't realize she should pass us in the three open lanes to our left. Oblivious to what goes on behind, Lance turns over the pedals in perfect, round circles while Korioth, a Masters National Champion mashes a bit more.
• 8:42 - As we make our way out of town Armstrong's Oakley shades fly off his helmet and a certain eagle-eyed PEZ-man eyes them tumble into the brush along the road. At a stoplight later, I hand them back while I discuss with Dave just what the Barney Fife's of the world think of some guy in lyrca on a bike holding up traffic on their small country roads. Dave says they usually figure it out quickly, all is okay and go on their way. If traffic starts to stack up behind the car Dave will pull ahead so they can pass, waiting ahead so everyone in Mayberry stays happy.
• 8:55 - As we pass a cyclist going the other way the subject comes up of the average rider getting passed and trying to jump on Lance's wheel. Sometimes it will happen but pretty soon they go way over their limit and that's when things can get dodgy. Before we finish our talk Korioth punctures and it's time for a nature/Blackberry break. Lance peruses his mail for what will be the first of several sessions during the ride. Dave laughs that in the 5 minutes after the Blackberry goes back in the car the thing goes crazy while people respond to what Lance just sent out."
You can read the rest HERE.